You Have to Look Out for Yourself… August 17, 2016

Robot thinking ANature is indifferent. The storm is not singling you out. The tornado that smashed your house did not have that in mind. The flood that carried you adrift just happened and wasn’t scheduled. The shark that took off your leg simply thought it had found food and was tasting. Nature is not out to get you even if you suffer such calamities a hundred thousand times.

The earth orbits the sun but in its travels never thinks of you. You may be like a virus in your infection of the planet, but the planet is defenseless against you and would likely end up destroyed if you pursued such a course. Your activities may lead to retribution, but it won’t be a conscious retribution. Global warming may drown you, destroy you, but in the end it was your activity that precipitated such an eventuality. Volcanic activity might produce the same effects but that would not be an act against you… you were simply unfortunate enough to live at the time to suffer the occurrence.

There are no deities, demons, or other supernatural beings scheming against you. On the other hand there is no force looking out for you either. Pray all you want to no avail. You have to look out for yourself.

This entry was posted in Reason and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to You Have to Look Out for Yourself… August 17, 2016

1. kertsen says:

If I just look out for myself who will look after the others? While it is perfectly true that nature and as far as we know the universe is amoral we are not. Like it or not we have consciences and divide our actions into acceptable or unacceptable. We are alone in this since crocodiles don’t care and the animal kingdom is in a survival of the fittest as Darwin so brilliantly pointed out. We are social beings who care to a greater or lesser extent that is the cross we bear.

People sometimes think that there is some force, be it a god, or even aliens from space, that might step in and rescue humanity when things become hopeless. Nature is indifferent, I said, because there are no demons, no satan, and even not a god to threaten them. Look out for yourself though singular, was used in this case to designate a singular species, humanity.

3. kertsen says:

Humanity is not smart enough to take the short path to success for it follows the quick fix almost every time.
    Now we have looming an antibiotic apocalypse they are busy looking into deep space and probing dark matter.
    We did survive the Black Death at great cost and we may have to pay by the fragmentation of global civilisation.
    Nature made us survivors but she did not make us permanent top-dogs.

I believe I did a post on that. Humanity does not always choose the right path, it chooses the less costly one. Well, you said you were 75, I am 64 and on the same journey. I will probably lament what humanity could have been while seeing what they are. I guess I will retain my misanthropic view of humanity to the end. Perhaps I should look upon them all as children, children who are simply seeking the best way but often failing, in fact sometimes choosing the path to failure with gusto. It just could be the conscious mind cannot care enough, and the subconscious mind cares too much.

5. kertsen says:

I understand your feelings of disappointment but you are supposing we could control , or should have controlled our own destiny and that may not be true . Determinisists do not believe it, it’s all in
    the cards is their cry. Good old Sam Harris has gone a step further and said that free will and the Self are illusions. Curiously enough he carries on being Sam with Sam’s ideas and opinions.

Oddly, when I fully know that I am making decisions I am told that I had no choice at all. I am told by those who do not think free will exists that I can only act in accordance to my … “programming”?

7. kertsen says:

Cause and effect was upset when Heisenberg came up with his uncertainty principle and physics entered the realm of probability. Chance began to enter into the deliberation of physicists. Now chance is a very strange animal for although it is chance it still obeys rules . A thousand tosses of a coin will give almost five hundred heads and five hundred tails but we cannot be certain. To my mind we cannot be certain if we are deciding or not. I feel there is an air of uncertainty about almost everything .
    ‘ We are such stuff as dreams are made of ,
    And our little life is rounded with a sleep.’

The uncertainty, that may be our free will.