Just Plain Stupid

stupid a

Religious fundamentalists resist secular educational systems like the public schools and the colleges and universities with good reason. Such seats of higher learning are anathema to the religious dogma that they prefer be instilled within their children. If their children were actually taught how to think as well as learn that there are a myriad of alternate belief systems in the world, they fear, the little ones might reject the dogma for what it is, superstitious myth.

After much reading and consideration I have come to the conclusion that there are at least three types among the religious. First, the willfully ignorant, who have been exposed to the truth of science, understood it yet have rejected it in favor of myth. Secondly, the truly ignorant, blissfully so, happily so. Thirdly, the plain stupid who are unable to see the absurdities of religion and are unable to grasp the science should they encounter it.

Of the fundamentalists all three types reject evolution, insisting it is just a theory. Using a layman’s understanding of the word theory, they assert that the theory of evolution is a guess. In the view of scientists, however, the word theory means something more substantial, more solid. In the case of evolution the strength of observational, fossil, as well as genetic evidence is such, that in truth evolution is fact. The willfully ignorant, the first type above, able to understand it, still reject it, even though in every other aspect of their lives they are capable of using both logic and reason. They fail to use logic and reason only in the area of faith. The second type above doesn’t even care to learn about evolution, and are content to remain ignorant. The third type, the plain stupid, are simply that.

Also willfully or ignorantly disregarded and resisted are some other facts.

• The age of the Earth is 4.5 billion years old, not six to ten thousand. (Evidence overwhelming)
  • Dinosaurs never walked the Earth at the same time as humans. (Geological layers say they died out about 65 million years before humans.)
  • The ark was way too small as described.
  • much, much more

Fundamentalists hate science because it threatens to destroy their beliefs. Beliefs so tightly held that all of reality is insufficient to cause any of the faithful to so much as consider they might be wrong.

This entry was posted in Religion and Reason and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Just Plain Stupid

1. The narrative of myth is so strong and casts such a firm vice-grip upon the human mind that there are those in positions of power who would rather manipulate it for its own ends rather than help to release the vice-grip of ignorance from the populace. The Noble Lie is a perfect example of this.

Whats up with the cat? lol

The cat is Meowth II, a replacement for, of course, Meowth I, my little buddy.

3. Well…you don’t have to worry about people falling asleep reading your posts with that thing in the background…lol

Btw, are you in the southern part of USA? Things like evolution are not that much of an issue in schools up in these parts where I’m at.

I am in Mansfield Ohio. I am member of the local Mid-Ohio Atheists. Mansfield Ohio is one of those cities with a church on almost every corner. I learned recently that two schools nearby had been infiltrated with the Good News Club. This is of great concern to me, as I see a decline in the level of education in this area, which has been in process for a number of years.

5. Seriously? Infiltrated? Sounds almost like some paranoid conspiracy.

I read your article and came away with a feeling that these people (creationists) are just stupid and illiterate or downright stubborn.

Have you considered that its just a weakness of the human condition? I think humans are just wired to believe in myth over banal truths.

I can agree with that, as children we are very trusting, very vulnerable to such myths. Yet, there are some extremely intelligent people within the ranks of the fundamentalists, after all, someone has to be in charge. This Good News Club has been infiltrating schools for several years now, since Scalia and Thomas were able to provide the means for religion to make it back into the schools. Do a google of the Good News Club, perhaps you will be enlightened as I was, for I dismissed it as a paranoid conspiracy at first.
    The Good News Club uses this precedent provided in, I think, 2004, to actually force themselves into a school system by threatening lawsuits. They have a program which they follow upon gaining entry, one which the instructors are trained to follow to the letter. Upon establishing themselves, they use the kids which have been approved by parents to participate, to lure the other children, those that the parents opted out, into the club. Then, so I have read, they teach these poor children that they had better get their friends to “come to the Lord”, or their friends will be burned in flames upon their death, for eternity. They also teach that the end of mankind is about to occur. Can you imagine what kind of weight, what kind of fear that is being impressed upon these poor, innocent children? Remember, the teachers are adults, and little kids trust adults, very much the same as they trust their parents, and very much the same as the kids trust and believe in the school’s regular teachers.

Katherine Stewart has a book on this, the Good News Club, you might find interesting.

8. Fred Levins says:

I do read your posts.

In connection with your first category, I have met some people that you would perhaps, if not probably, place in it. One is well documented on the Web so you could potentially conveniently peruse his page at your leisure. Richard H. Bube, current Professor Emeritus at Stanford University and one-time Chair of the Department of Materials Science (research focus on semiconductors), has a Wikipedia page devoted to the aspects of his life as a public, communicative Christian.

I cannot accept that someone who has reached such a pinnacle of intelligence can at the same time, without evidence, accept a belief system that relies totally on Faith. Then again, Physics is hardly biology, and it has been said that, nothing in biology makes sense without evolution.

I have to conclude that the desire to live forever, and the flip side, the fear of death, can elicit emotions which over-ride reason. Then too, to admit at his late date, that he has been fooled, that there is, after all, no paradise awaiting, no immortality, Mr. Bube might be too severely strained.

It seems a lot of Fundamentalists rail against Materialism, and yet, the only provable quantities are matter and energy. Even our consciousness is a product of matter and energy in a specifically arranged pattern. Yes, I realize the materials being discussed were materials used in semiconductors, but had the thought, anyway.

10. Fred Levins says:

The case of one Richard Bube is an interesting one. What is going on in his mind with respect to his thinking when it comes to his Christian beliefs? One can only wonder.

What I guess concerning Richard Bube’s thinking is somewhat charitable at this point. However, when I arrived as a graduate student at Stanford after getting my undergraduate degree at MIT and heard that there was a well-known Creationist on the engineering faculty, I silently thought, “What?!” I had no doubt in mind that the man surely must be fundamentally stupid in spite of his influential position on the faculty.

Now, I am inclined to guess that he is as comfortable holding his Christian beliefs as I am in my belief that there is no afterlife. My guess is that there is no more anxiety or mental tension with respect to his Christian beliefs than what I experience concerning my belief that there is no afterlife. And assuredly, I am not anxious or in a state of mental tension when contemplating my conviction that in a few decades time, at the most, Fred Levins will belong to history. My guess is that he considers his Christian beliefs to be the truth to a degree similar to my belief that my I am right about there being no afterlife for us humans.

I note that what I have written about Richard Bube’s thinking is somewhat more favorable toward him than what you wrote. That is not too surprising, since – if for no other reason — it has been the case so far that we more often than not see things differently. I think better of RB than I did at the outset because I have had almost forty years of additional life experience since when I first encountered him, and those decades have included a lot of social contact with adult theists. I think I understand the mentally of mature theists now better than I did at age 22.

Incidentally, I can report that Richard Bube was addressed as “Professor Bube” on campus and (I am pretty certain) “Dr. Bube” when he attended professional conferences. Consistent use of such titles is a part of the culture of academic and professional settings.

11. Fred Levins says:

One other note for now, in addition to all that divides us — and it is considerable — we share two important predilections. I love cats, fondly remembering my pet cat Rocky (1965-1980), and I really love coffee.

12. Fred Levins says:

One other note. We share two important predilections: cats and coffee.

I should say that Mr. Bube uses compartmentalization to allow irrational ideas to remain side-by-side in his head with the rational logical parts of his mind. If you do not subject your irrational thoughts to scientific scrutiny then most likely they will never be dismissed.
    Titles… I loathe to capitalize the word “god”, though I often do. Perhaps if Mr. Bube didn’t have such irrational beliefs I would be more likely to refer to him as Dr., or Professor. Let others do that. As far as I am concerned, his insistence in theistic evolution is contradictory to true science.

I have always said that a person who likes cats can’t be all bad. My icon picture is our new addition to the household, Meowth II. He is becoming a very vocal Applehead Siamese.
    Gevalia is my choice of morning coffee, traditional blend, and though I recommend whole bean, I presently have the ground version on hand.

Are we divided so much that we could not together support the Separation of Church and State? Are we so divided that we could not together support a woman’s right to choose? Are we so divided that we together cannot defend the rights of the non-believer? Having differing opinions on some things, yet being able to work together on the basics, is part of life.