Kingwood Center

A group, of which I am a member, the Mid-Ohio Atheists, made a trip to the garden estate known as Kingwood Center.

100_1736

Mr. King began making his fortune when he was hired by the Ohio Brass Company as the its first electrical engineer in 1893. Mr. King was responsible for much of the company’s success and he eventually became President and Chairman of the Board of Ohio Brass. Mr. King never had any children and was married and divorced twice. After his death in 1952, he left most of his estate to the private foundation that continues to operate Kingwood Center today.(http://voices.yahoo.com/kingwood-center-mansfield-ohio-overlooked-treasure-480956.html)

From the Greenhouse:

100_1676From Cactus….

100_1677

100_1679

100_1675100_1678

100_1694

100_1693

… to bananas.

100_1690

From colorful flowers…

100_1686

100_1681

… to the very odd.

The greenhouse was a very interesting place to visit.

But, there was more to see:

100_1687

100_1688

Like peacocks roaming the Estate.

100_1712

100_1714

The ornate Gazebo.

100_1709

100_1731

Flowering pots, ornate statues…

100_1732

100_1728

For some reason they saw fit to hang a sign on the Satyr. No doubt so visitors would not think it Satan.

100_1741

100_1727

Pools and ponds.

Finally, a little video from a pond at Kingwood. Listen closely….

Frogs
This entry was posted in Entertainment and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Kingwood Center

1. Joe says:

Kingwood Center is an incredible asset to the community. It is one of the things that I really miss when I moved away to attend college. The greenhouse is really something to behold and the architecture is of the main house and the carriage house is quite good. I remember Kingwood as a quiet sanctuary where one could eat lunch or just reflect.

quiet peaceful setting. We really enjoyed the visit. ———- Sent from my Verizon Wireless mobile phone

3. ‘they saw fit to hang a sign on the Satyr”

What does the sign have on it? I would really get a chuckle if some religious fanatic thought it was a statue of Satan, LOL!

I hope that next year their investments of the trust will bound back so that they won’t have to charge entrance fees. ‘Free to the public’ was Mr. King’s intent, but I understand the budget pinch, too. I miss going there on a more frequent basis.

I’ve often thought of Mr. King’s generousity to this community and truly appreciate Kingwood — it’s a jewel for sure. And so are the volunteers and employees.

Did you get my message? It has the word Satyr written on it.

5. K Gerard says:

The plant in the hanging basket (“very odd” caption) is burro’s tail sedum — a new plant will root from just one leaf. Fun to grow. Not hardy here.

6. Ramon says:

I have some questions for you if you don’t mind.1. You inatidce your family may be christens, if so have you personally read the bible from cover to cover? And if so what did you think of it?2. Other than stating that you are an atheist, what are your beliefs and what does being an atheist mean to you?3. Can you explain why it’s important for you to make a big issue about coming out as an atheist and do you think you’ll have a better life for doing so?Let me state for the record I would not call myself an atheist nor do I call myself a christen or even an agnostic or for that matter any other pop science name either. I would like to believe that I am enlightened but I’ll leave that for others to judge.I look forward to hearing your answers if you please,Bob

7. lourdes says:

they saw fit to hang a sign on the Satyr What does the sign have on it? I would really get a chckule if some religious fanatic thought it was a statue of Satan, LOL!I hope that next year their investments of the trust will bound back so that they won’t have to charge entrance fees. Free to the public’ was Mr. King’s intent, but I understand the budget pinch, too. I miss going there on a more frequent basis.I’ve often thought of Mr. King’s generousity to this community and truly appreciate Kingwood it’s a jewel for sure. And so are the volunteers and employees.

Ramon. I am not sure if you were addressing me. Your comment somehow ended up in the spam file.
    I have read the Bible, from cover to the cover. Alas, I do not possess photographic memory, also, since I found it immensely boring, little was retained. It is from studying various parts of the Bible, compared to other parts, that one gets real incite concerning it’s makeup. It is obviously a hodgepodge of many stories, written over and over during many centuries, added to, subtracted from, changed to reflect the needs of the times. It’s contradictions and errors abound and it makes claims which are obviously absurd.
    Being atheist frees my mental functions as I do not have to live up to expectations of a deity, nor do I feel as if something is staring over my shoulder on a constant basis. I believe in mankind, why … I do not know. This is my only area of belief and it is in form more of a hope that humankind will continue and advance into something more.
    I do not make a big deal out of my atheism and reveal it only when the occasion is appropriate. I am already leading a very good life without the pretense of religion. Religion lays a big guilt trip on people for simply having been born. Religion feeds on guilt and fear as a means to perpetuate itself.