Ravings of a Non-Scientist … November 6, 2013

nothingConsider a universe which arose from nothing. The catalyst for such an event can only be speculated upon as there were no witnesses. There would be many who would insert a god as a catalyst, others who might guess it spontaneous or caused by something unknown. There is no proof of any nature to substantiate that it was a god or that it was spontaneous. It must remain unknown.

If you started with nothing then the balance of what might be created would have to equal nothing. There would have to be equal quantities of matter and anti-matterantimatter universeso that the balance of the universe would equal nothing. Matter and anti-matter cancel each other out.

Presently we have a universe where there is a preponderance of matter and a much less quantity of anti-matter. With this discrepancy considered then the universe would have had to start with something. Convention is that this something was energy squeezed into an unimaginably dense point which exploded. Perhaps this is the case.

Suppose instead that the universe did start from nothing. Suppose there is antimatter equal to matter. We can see the universe only to a finite horizon with our limited means. Is it possible that the balancing quantity of the antimatter which need exist is coagulated in a sphere at the edge of the universe, surrounding it? Pluses and minuses it is said attract. Being opposites it is easy to speculate that they must attract. If antimatter attracts matter then this might explain the acceleration of the galaxies from one another. Surrounded by an enormous globe of concentrated antimatter the universe we know would surely rush toward the outer edge and soon become nothing once more. This sphere of antimatter may be in the form of an antimatter universe that is accelerating in as fast as our universe is accelerating out. In the beginning there may have been more of each, matter and antimatter, but that antimatter that remained within reach of matter, cancelled some of both out.

Of course this is just imagination at work. As non-provable as any god or big bang.

This entry was posted in Reason and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Ravings of a Non-Scientist … November 6, 2013

Indeed, a great preponderance, and perfectly valid reasoning.

It was my understanding that antimatter and matter did “battle” in the first seconds and matter won out by having 1% more. To that point, i was in Nepal years ago chatting to a Buddhist priest and he told me something i didn’t know: that the yin and yang symbols are never meant to be perfectly split into 50% blocks, rather 49% and 51%. The explanation he provided was simple: “without the slight imbalance there would be no motion.”

I like that comparison.

3. Fred Levins says:

I found this to be an interesting read on one of the most difficult — but at the same time intriguing — questions facing science in the large.

Your essay brings to my mind one of my high school classmates, Joseph Sedlak, St. Peter’s High School Class of 1969, who went to Case Institute of Technology after high school, now part of Case Western Reserve University, received a degree in physics, and went on to get his Ph.D. and become an astronomer. He did what I once aspired to do, which was to become an astronomer. He eventually worked on the COBE satellite project, the Cosmic Background Explorer. The data from the satellite confirmed that the degree of variations in the background microwave radiation observable in the celestial sphere conforms to the predications, to the extent that predictions can be made, based on the big bang cosmological model for the first moments of the universe. I hope to see him at the 45th Reunion of the Class of 1969 in Mansfield in August 2014 if I, myself, make it there.

This is a change of subject, but I have a suggestion or idea for a topic for an edition of your blog. I will be with other people on Thanksgiving Day, and I may be requested to say the equivalent of grace, which for me would be a reflection on our human situation in which an addressable personal god or creator most probably does not exist, given that earnest prayers in so many life or death situations do not appear to be answered, to put it briefly. If you were in an analogous situation, thinking as you do (not as I do), which you have shared in your essays over the past few years, what would you say? I suppose any reflection ought to run no more than a hundred words as most. That’s the idea for a column. You might throw out more than one version, since one hundred words does not a column make. In my case, there will probably be theists and agnostics (and maybe even an atheist) of various strains at the table. You can describe in your essay the spectrum of worldviews for the group at your hypothetical Thanksgiving Day table at which your reflection would be presented.

Your suggestion is a difficult one. I will give it some thought.

5. fred2levins says:

I am running out of time. If I delay any longer, I will not be able to get any feedback. Here is my Version 0.9 of a possible “Fred’s Reflection Prior to the Thanksgiving Day Dinner”:

So many important aspects of our lives are beyond our control, yet we have lived on and are together today able to enjoy yet again some of the fruits of this awe-inspiring, intricately well-ordered universe, of which we are a part but even now understand only in a very limited way. I am glad and feel grateful in the face of it. In addition, I received help over the past year in connection with my hip replacements from people near and some far, and I am mindful of that help and grateful. I am also grateful for those who labored putting together today’s feast. Others can add to the list. Let us honor this opportunity by enjoying today’s meal together and thereby create an authentic exalted communion with much meaning.

Amen

I might have used “Let’s eat”, instead of Amen.

7. fred2levins says: